Skip to main content

Ode to a teenager

As Scarlett's Kindergarten year comes to a close . . . we are being forced to re-evaluate everything that has happened over the last year involving Scarlett's safety and are proven to be at the mercy of her bleeding disorder once again. . . Over the course of her first year in Elementary school (and being away from family breathing down her neck) she hit her head 3x within the first 3 months of school and her Dad and I decided to pull her from any climbing in the Kindergarten yard.  She's gone through the most of her first year in Elementary School not being able to play like the other children, only able to use the play structure for the monkey bars and the slide.
Several different situations through out the year have slowly led us up to the point where we are at today, but when she came home last week with a huge bruise on her chin, (that had a scab, so it had to have bled at school) . . . and nobody, not even Scarlett had an explanation as to how it got there. . .  we knew it was time to have someone at school just there to watch Scarlett and help guide her in making safe decisions and to be there to follow through on her emergency plan, should anything happen.  This was a decision I lost sleep over, cried over and had countless discussions within our household about it, before coming to grips with the fact that this is what Scarlett needs, to be able to live as much like a kid as possible, but with the assurance that there is someone there to gently remind her of her limitations.
As I said. . . I didn't make this decision lightly and I started off being very angry that her Dr's and school were suggesting she couldn't play on the big structure on the 1-6 grade yard at all, even if she were to get an aide.  The more I talked to outsiders the more I heard people start throwing the word liability around. . . And once I started telling my story I heard myself repeating this phrase I find myself saying way too often. . . "I want someone there to keep her safe."  The more I thought about what I was saying the more I realized the pressure and liability that puts on anybody if it's thrown at them that way.  I'm not here to sue anyone cause my kid gets hurt. . . I just want someone to help make sure my daughter isn't doing something that's going to put her in a life threatening situation and if she does get hurt the correct steps are taken immediately and efficiently  . . .
I talked to numerous different people about this over the last week including one of my bleeder bloggers and she she said the most amazing thing to me. . . "Your not God"  Now I know this statement shouldn't have shocked me so much, but it just made something click inside me. . . Suddenly I realized I've been going about this all wrong. . . I'M NOT GOD<NONE OF US ARE. . . I've been stating I wanted an aide present to keep her safe... When in all reality nobody can keep her safe from injuries. . . she's human and a kid. . .What an aide CAN do is make sure the correct steps are taken if an injury does occur and to be a helpful reminder when she needs some guidance on making safe decisions.
We sent Scarlett to Kindergarten hoping she wouldn't need something like this and are still torn with having to make this decision.  We are forever grateful to her school for being so accommodating and hope this will help ease the worry for everyone involved.  But most of all I'm thankful for the lesson I was taught through all this, from an amazing young lady Keira from our bleeder community . . . I'M NOT GOD.
Now, I know I'm not God, but when us bleeder parents throw around words like "keep our kids safe" or "prevent injury". . .we are putting expectations on ourselves and others that nobody can keep.  Kids are kids, and no matter how much we smother them, are there to remind them of dangers, yell at them to slow down. . .they are still probably going to get hurt . . . we need to start making sure our little bleeders are surrounded by people who know what to do if it does. . . not expect them to prevent it from happening.















Written by,
Kari Peepe


©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com


For more stories about getting Scarlett tested, injuries and her health please check out:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he