Skip to main content

Scarlett's first time at Camp Hemotion


Every year children from the Hemophilia Foundation of Northern California (aged 7 and up) and other foundations are given the opportunity to attend Camp Hemotion. A camp just for those affected with a bleeding disorder.

Making the choice to send Scarlett to a week long camp was an incredibly tough decision, but I'm so grateful I agreed to let her go, as I know the memories and independence she gained will last her a life time. Last year Scarlett wanted to attend but I didn't think she was ready and I know I wasn't. So we set our sights on this summer and Scarlett had been eagerly awaiting it's arrival ALL year long.

I dropped her off on a Sunday. The bus picked her up in front of the Oakland Children's Hospital, which is about 2 hours away from my house. I remember the drive there that day, seemed to take forever. I think I had been in complete denial up to that point.  I had been abnormally calm and walked into the situation thinking I was going to be fine. But as we started crossing the bridge and I knew we only had 20 minutes to our destination, I started to panic.



As tears kept rolling down my face I imagined all the things that could go wrong. . .What if she doesn't eat? What if she breaks a bone? What if she cries the whole time she's there? What if kids are mean to her? What if she gets sick? What if she hates it and never wants to go back? Why didn't they give me more information? Why didn't I ask for more information?

As I was arriving at our destination I realized I didn't have much info. I knew we weren't allowed contact. That the kids would be fully entertained and supervised the whole time and assured that food would not be an issue. My daughter doesn't eat anything and is one of the pickiest eaters I know, so you could imagine my fears as I set her off to a camp for 6 days that only served breakfast, lunch and dinner (not of your choice).

So I pulled into the parking lot, and was now trying to put on my brave face. I had my son and my niece with me as well, so my hands were full which helped a little. We hauled her suitcase, emergency bag, blankets, pillows and backpack down to the bus stop and were surprised to see only two other families waiting. But as the clock ticked on, more families started to show up, some of which were a familiar face for Scarlett which helped her dramatically. As our goodbyes started to become reality I stayed strong until I saw the bus pull away.  With the support of some of my bleeder mamas from the community and tears rolling down my cheek, I sent my little princess off on a camp trip she would never forget.

The first day was the hardest. Not knowing how Scarlett was doing in camp was agonizing, I'm with my kids 24/7 and spending a week apart feels like months especially when I have no idea whats going on. The second was just as hard . . . I flooded social media with pleas for any information I could get, bugged counselors and thought the worst.


Temperatures were a sweltering 104, and I was terrified she was going to come home sunburnt, dehydrated and exhausted. The exhaustion ended up being true but she was taking care of on all other avenues beautifully. I tried to be good and send letters to her that would come everyday, she didn't do the same. We got through the week with several recaps on social media in which I found tons of pictures of my girls smiling face. She was singing, playing, swimming and looked like she was having a good time.

We picked her up the following Saturday. We were the first to arrive and waited an hour for the bus to come. As soon as the bus pulled up and the counselor came down the stairs we were handed our childrens injury reports (paperwork saying they had gone to the infirmary). Scarlett had one, she was having stomach pains. Oh no! my worst fears came true, she got hurt, she had a horrible time.

Scarlett walked off the bus looking exhausted. I couldnt tell right away what her reaction was to the whole experience but boy-oh-boy once she finally started talking, I was blown away by the stories I heard. It turns out Scarlett had more then a good time, she had the BEST time ever. She even got recognized at camp for having the best camp spirit and won the Todd Smith award, a prestigious recognition given only to one camper a year.

She was in a cabin with 4 other 7 and 8 year olds that she said she got along with beautifully. She got up every morning and was swimming with the polar bear club by 7am. She played games, created art, and made new friends. She gained independence. Performed on stage and even received the butterfly award for infusing in a fake vein.



I later heard from other attendees that the second she walked off the bus she took on everything camp had to offer with eagerness and excitement. She helped others, asked for a hug when she needed one, and wasn't afraid of anything. She was the first to perform on stage and brought a spirit to camp that allowed her to make friends with bleeders of all ages, counselor too.

It's safe to say Scarlett will never forget her first year at Camp Hemotion and I have no doubt she will become a regular attendee for years to come. She already is asking when I can come be a counselor and is eager to become one herself once she's old enough. She made bonds that can't be broken and made memories that will stay with her for a long time.























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he