Skip to main content

A trip to the ER and Scarlett's first CAT Scan

Yesterday as I was sitting down at circle time with the preschoolers, my worst nightmare came true.  The moment my colleague started walking over to me with the phone in her hand I knew it was Scarlett's school. My mind went into overdrive.
On the other end of the line I heard Scarlett's principal telling me Scarlett was on her way to the office, she hit her head. The aide was bringing her with a quarter size hematoma that started forming immediately and they would call me again once she got to the office. Somehow while she was walking around with her aide in the quad at recess, she managed to turn around and hit her head on a pole. By the time the principal called me back I was in my car and heading to her school. I told her to calm her down and keep ice on her until I got there.
Flying down the road to the neighboring town where Scarlett goes to school, felt like it took forever.  I was trying to convince myself this wasn't going to be a bad one and that the they were just running on the cautious side. The minute I ran into the office I knew something was wrong.  I recognized the look of panic on the office members that all seemed to be waiting for my arrival. As I approached the nurses office both the principal and the office manager had her surrounded and I couldn't really see her head. . . but then as I got closer and pulled her into my arms I saw the enormous goose egg that was already starting to form. It had been about 20 minutes since the school called me and her quarter size lump was already the size of a golf ball.
Scarlett was noticeably upset, but more so about what she was missing in class and the fear of taking her medicine. She broke down and begged to be able to come back to school for Fun Friday and still wanted to go on her first play date that was planned for the following afternoon after school. I promised her we would figure something out and worst case scenario she would have to plan another play date.
I gave her stimate spray to her, sat with her while she calmed down and we headed home. By the time we got home the lump was now the size of a baseball. My husband met me at the door and I could tell by the look on his face, this lump was alarming to him too.
I called her hematologist and they recommended we go to the ER immediately and get a CAT Scan, they would call the ER and let them know we were on our way. I packed up Scarlett and headed to the Kaiser hospital in Santa Rosa.  Walking into the ER I figured this was going to take awhile but the first staff member I saw confirmed she was Scarlett and rushed us off to our first of 4 rooms. It was obvious they were waiting for us and had all her info pulled up before we even got there. She was seen by a Dr. within 15 minutes of walking in the door and she had a CAT scan within an hour. We had to wait a really long time after to actually talk to a Dr. again and get released but the timing it took to check in and get the CT seemed pretty fast considering it was the ER.
Scarlett's CT came back clear. . . THANK GOD and we got to go home after a few hours. I was told to keep a close eye on her for at least 24 hours and to keep her from doing any physical activities that could possibly re-injure her head for the next week or so. After talking to her hematologist once we returned home, they recommended the same thing and to take another dose of her stimate on Saturday (2 days later).
This was our biggest scare with Scarlett since she was diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder. I surprisingly stayed very strong through the whole experience, convincing Scarlett she would be OK and keeping my brave face on for her. I feel like we are all coming out of this knowing this was a good "bleeder drill" and feel very confident everyone worked quickly and efficiently to ensure Scarlett was getting the care she needed ASAP. I commend her school, her hematologist, and Kaiser Santa Rosa for taking her bleeding disorder seriously and following all the correct protocol to assure us she was getting the best care possible.
Scarletts bruise covered half her forehead.
I'm trying to have her come out of this experience un affected as much as possible, (besides learning to walk safely in the hall ways at school.) I know missing out on school and missing her play date was a major concern for her. . . so I've decided to let her go to school for the second half of the day, accompanied by me and that she could go on her play date.  I refuse to let her bleeding disorder make her feel like she's missing out and will do everything in my power to make her feel like she's living a "normal life" with or without traumatic injuries. She has to learn to deal with situations like this in the safest way possible and then move on. This was a big learning experience for everyone involved and I am confident it's just another lesson on how to help her in the future. She's going to get hurt no matter how much we try and protect her, we just need to make sure everyone involved takes the proper steps and they all proved themselves yesterday!!!


Written by,
Kari Peepe


©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com


For more of my blog entries about our life in elementary school check out:
For more stories about getting Scarlett tested, injuries and her health please check out:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he