Skip to main content

My husband didn't sign up for this . . . .

I often find myself wondering if my husband is secretly upset that he married someone with a bleeding disorder.  I knew growing up that I had a bruising problem, but being that I wasn't diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder until I was pregnant with my second child it wasn't something me and my husband had discussed at great lengths before getting married and having children.  I had never taken it into consideration how my disorder would and could affect my husband and the generations to come.

I guess I should start from the beginning . . . . My husband and I met when he was finishing his last year at Chico State.  On my first time visiting him for the weekend, I woke up to an accidental elbow to the face.  To a normal person it was barely hard enough to leave a mark, but thanks to my wonderful bleeding disorder, I woke up with a black eye and a new boyfriend asking what the hell was wrong with me.  So very early into our relationship I had to explain that life with me was full of scrapes and bruises (most of which, the cause is unknown) and that things like this were somewhat normal.  From the beginning of the relationship my bruises were a source of conversation.  I'm naturally clumsy and have kids climbing all over me at work (I'm a pre-school teacher), so it's normal for my arms and legs to be covered in bruises.  I'm sure this is something that bothers my husband a lot, but I rarely hear him complain about it.

Fast forward 4 years to our wedding day . . . . . We got married on the most majestic beach in St. Thomas and I had the most beautiful dress.  But what nobody knows, is that underneath my beautiful dress where two of the most battered knees from falling running up the stairs to my house just a few days before we left for our wedding/honeymoon.  I spent the first few days of our honeymoon with bandages on my knee and a newly wed husband shaking his head every time someone asked us what happened.  Luckily that's how he has learned to deal with it all . . . . he just shakes his head and laughs, while reassuring everyone that I just have a bleeding disorder.

I must say I feel the worst about all that he had to endure with the deliveries of our two children. Looking back . . . . both of my deliveries were a blood bath.  My doctor who delivered my son, told my husband that in the 20 years she had been delivering, she had never experienced anything like it. Most people say that women are stronger than men. . . . this is one rare moment that I would disagree.  My husband's strength for my children during those moments was amazing.  I will never understand what it feels like to look down on the person you've vowed to spend the rest of your life with and think you are going to lose them . . . . .  while looking at your child for the first time.  I was unable to hold either kids due to after birth complications and my husband had to step up to the plate in both instances and did so admirably.  I think he somewhat takes pride in knowing that he was such a big part of the first few hours of our children's lives and I truly believe it has given him a unique bond with both of them because of it.  Unfortunately the Dr's have told us we shouldn't have any more kids which I know was a lot for my husband to process.  We are very thankful for the two wonderful children that we were blessed with, but it still seems like a lot to swallow when we are reminded that we can't make the choice to have anymore. 

People have and probably will always stare, joke, or just assume my husband is causing me harm and I will never understand what that's like for him.  I can't remember a time when I wasn't covered in bruises, and as a child I was asked often if I was "OK" and if everything was "fine at home" . . . . so I've become pretty numb to people's questions and reactions.  I don't hear the comments or see the looks like he does.  My daughter and my bleeding disorder is always a source of conversation in our house and is at the top of the list with most decisions we make.  My husbands life will forever be a little more complicated because he married me and has a child with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder.  Any job we take, car we drive, activity we want to do or trip we want to go on, has to involve questions about how it affects our bleeding disorder.   Fortunately I have an amazing husband who seems to take everything in stride.  I would like to say that I'm the calm one of the family that does most of the positive encouragement, but I would be lying.  We both have learned to find the positive in all of this and lean on each other for whatever support we need.  In the long run we know that this is building the strength of our relationship and will take us through whatever hurdles we have down the road. . . .


Written by,
Kari Peepe

©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more stories on having a solid support system of people who understand you and what you're going through please check out:
For more on me and my health issues please check out:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he