Skip to main content

It takes a village....

I'd be lying if I said that we are the only ones affected by Scarlett and my bleeding disorder.  It takes an aray of family members, friends, doctors and educators to keep us safe and guide us in making appropriate decisions for me, my daughter and my family.
We are luckily blessed enough to have countless family members to help us not only emotionally but physically, and I couldn't imagine going through this without them. . . .  My Moms and sister are my biggest support system after my husband.  Their constant love and support has gotten me through times I had lost all hope. They are answering my phone calls at all hours of the day and night and always lending supportive words of advice and encouragement with every single call.  My sister also lends that support, but is more who I go to when I need a good laugh.  And then there's my sister-in-law. She lives the closest year round and is our emergency back up, she's a huge part of our life and takes on a big responsibility by being our back up caretaker.
 On days that Scarlett's covered in bruises and we have to restrict her from another activity and my spirit is down, my family is always there to lift me up. When Scarlett was diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder, my mother and step-dad (who lives in Palm Desert) promptly decided to get an apartment near my house too.  My Mom is available to help at the times of year we need her and we usually plan ALL Dr appointments around when she will be in town.  I've lost count of how many times she's had to step in, because my husband couldn't come to the Dr with me and drove all the way to Oakland with me. (I always try to have another person with me at Scarlett's appointments because I tend to get overwhelmed with all the info, so I like to have an extra set of ears!)  Other family members come from 100's of miles away to visit and help with babysitting situations whenever asked. 
Friends are also important.... I've lost a few on the way.  A lot of them don't understand the things that consume me everyday!  The ones that have stuck around support me, love me and let me share my ups and downs, without passing judgement. AND now I've got a new set of friends . . . . my bleeding disorder community. I've reached out to several different Facebook groups and made what I would call friends.  They're there for me in ways most don't understand.  There's always a sense of sisterhood and understanding between us all.  As much as I hate to admit it, I'm thankful for things like Facebook and Twitter for bringing us all together to share our stories.
And finally there's my community of Dr.'s, teachers, and advocates that constantly take a part in our daily decisions.  Platelet Storage Pool Disorder is so rare there just isn't enough information out there to guarantee we are taking the right path.  "Our life plan" involves a plethora of opinions, that we have to filter through and decide what's best for us.  I've been overwhelmed with the support I've gotten from Scarlett's school, all our Dr.'s at Kaiser, and all the advocates we've reached out to.
When Scarlett started Kindergarten she had literally never been under the care of anyone besides her parents, aunts or grandparents.  We've been fortunate enough to always have someone taking care of her that is well aware and well trained in caring for her bleeding disorder.  The family as a whole is always reminding Scarlett to be careful and to remember her limits.  Trusting that a stranger will know when to take an injury seriously and decide when and what medical steps need to be taken seems so much to put on someone else and I would probably never foregive myself if something happened...... so we usually avoid a situation like this at all costs.  I'm so THANKFUL and BLESSED to have the amazing support system that I do...... I hold a special place in my heart for all that have taken interest and/or gotten involved with this journey and for helping spread awareness of this rare disease!!! Thank you, thank you.





Written by,
Kari Peepe


©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more stories on raising children, when one of them has a bleeding disorder please check out:




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he