Skip to main content

Flooded with Fear

Yesterday Northern California was hit with one of the biggest storms we've had in over a decade. While other people were running around gathering flashlights, candles and batteries. . . I was checking Scarlett's emergency bag and going over all the different scenarios that could happen, if I sent my daughter to school, on the brinks of a natural disaster.
It didn't take me long to decided that she wouldn't be going to school and I couldn't risk flash floods or down power lines being a reason I couldn't get to her, in case of an emergency. Days like this I'm reminded of Scarlett's bleeding disorder more than usual. My daughter and I have the rare bleeding disorder-Platelet Storage Pool Disorder, which leaves us constantly trying to get out of harms way and questioning the "what if's" all the time.
I'm ALWAYS worried, being a working Mom, that I'm not going to be able to get to Scarlett if she's having a bad bleed. Being a California girl, natural disasters like earthquakes are always in the back of my mind . . .What if roads are blocked? What if I can't get her medicine to her? What if a tree lands on the school? . . .but
Yesterday, during our super storm, I was flooded with new fears. . .While getting ready for work, I literally began to get anxiety with the thought of taking Scarlett out in the storm. There was flooding everywhere, endless street closures and I had a 20 minute drive ahead of me. . . .What if we get in a car accident? What if it floods and I can't get to her once I've gone to work and she's at school or back at home? What if she get's stuck at school? What if nobody can get to her? What if I get in a car accident? What if floods and road closures make it so it takes too long to get to the hospital?
All these thoughts racing through my head and I was on my way to go play with cooped up preschoolers all day. Fortunately, God had a bigger plan and when I left to go to work, I got to the end of my street and couldn't turn right or left. My neighborhood rests up to a creek which was now flooding . . . and had us surrounded. The water eventually traveled down our street and we literally couldn't get out of our driveway all day.
Which of course led to other fears. . . What if something happens at home and we are flooded in, with no way for an ambulance to get to us? How am I going to keep her and her brother from killing each other? Do I have all the medical supplies where I can find them and still help her if we were to be without power and something DID happen?  Are the phones all charged? Is her emergency bag all packed and ready to go?
Yes, yesterday was a definite reminder of all the "what if's" of life with a bleeding disorder when faced with a natural disaster. All in all, we weathered through the storm with no injuries and traumatic experiences.  But it was definitely a reminder to be prepared and plan for the worst. As we cuddled in tight yesterday and prayed our house didn't flood I thought of a thousand things that could go wrong and thank God none of them did.
There's no time like the present to make sure there are emergency plans in place for all different kinds of scenarios.  Us bleeders have to keep our emergency bags updated, evacuation plans and routes should be discussed and we should ALWAYS have a working phone. Because Scarlett's and my disorder is so rare, we don't have life saving meds with us at home. We are at the mercy of the hospitals if something goes terribly wrong. The fear of not being able to get to a hospital fast enough . . .OR at all. . . is a fear I hadn't faced yet and one I'm hoping I don't have to go through again.
Written by,
Kari Peepe
©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more stories on raising children, when one of them has a bleeding disorder please check out:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he