Skip to main content

A Mother's Guilt

I'm naturally a guilt ridden person, and having a child with a bleeding disorder enhances this feeling ten fold.  I'm constantly questioning if what I just said to my daughter is going to emotionally scar her for life and if I'm being a good enough parent.  For as long as I can remember I've been a "people pleaser" and felt like I needed to be "perfect".  I actually get physically nauseated when I think I've done something to upset a loved one and will stress about it long after the event.  But after I had Scarlett and we were both diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder, my guilty persona really came in to play.  
The thing I find myself stressing about the most, ..........is time.  There simply aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything I want to accomplish.  And I'm always feeling horrible that my children are getting the short end of the stick. I'm constantly trying to balance giving each child the attention they need, stroking my husbands ego, raising awareness of PSPD,  keeping my house clean, going to Dr appts, cooking the perfect meal, all while working 30 hours/week and only sleeping an average of 5 hours a night.
 Now, I know I'm not the only parent with a load like mine and know that there are countless other parents who take on much more, I'm just here to admit I don't like it!
 I don't remember this now oddly familiar "guilt" feeling settle in until I went back to work after my second child was born.  I was fortunate enough to stay home with my first born until I was blessed with an opportunity to teach at a preschool she could attend.  I'm proud to say. . . for the first 2 1/2 years of Scarlett's life I gave my all to her.
And all though tricky at times. . .  once I started working, my husband and I were able to find a balance to continue to give her endless attention, while keeping up on all our daily chores.  After my son, Walker was born.....all that changed.  I went back to work within 3 months and have been working almost full time since.  I hate that I've missed out on so much of my sons beginning years and in some ways dont think I'll ever forgive myself for it.
 But we had to sit down and make a game plan when Scarlett was diagnosed with PSPD and this was part of the deal...... My husband had to work nights and stay home with Walker during the day and eventually Scarlett once she was in grade school, (until Walker was old enough to be at preachool with me). We felt as hard as it would be on the family we had to find a way to have both parents working, yet one of them "available" at all times for Scarlett.  I've tried to cut back my hours at work to be able to be home more, but I still can't afford to cut them back as much as I'd like. I would love to be able to volunteer in Scarlett's classes more and can't believe how little I've done with Walker by himself.
I know I put a lot of the guilt and expectations of being the "perfect parent" on myself and can confidently say I know there is no such thing, but I'm still probably going to kill myself trying.  This world is filled with daily reminders of what expectations are put on the parents of this generation.  Whether Pinterst is showing us 20 new crafts to do with our kids or ways to spruce up our home or we are watching TV shows glamorizing the lifestyles of the rich and famous......parents now a days have a different standard to live up to then generations past.  We put a lot of pressure on people to make it big and have a lot of money.  When in reality most of us are barely living above the poverty line and are struggling to give there children all that they want and need.  
My bleeding disorder community has been a wonderful way to keep myself grounded and remind me to stop and smell the roses.  There's always someone out there that was dealt a shittier hand and thats why I've become such an advocate for raising awareness of Platelet Storage Pool Disorder. I've been fortunate enough to have my daughter and I diagnosed with PSPD, therefore we can take the precautionary steps to keep us as safe as possible.  There are many out there who haven't been so lucky and I try to remind myself of that anytime I'm freaking out about how hard we have it. Life is too short to put so much extra guilt and pressure into parenting! Instead I need to try and live every day as if it were our last and not stress so much about the small stuff.


Written by,
Kari Peepe


©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more stories on raising children, when one of them has a bleeding disorder please check out:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he