Skip to main content

The gift of giving

This year I can truly say our family embraced the gift of giving. As many people know Scarlett became a wish kid last year and was given the biggest gift of all... To have her one wish come true. . .  to meet the princesses!! Ever since we returned from our trip to Disney World. . . I've made it my personal goal, to start giving back more and to instill that into my children.
Scarlett turning her letters into Macys

We have been dropping off letters for Macy's Believe campaign for a few years.  But this year we put a lot more effort into it and decided to get the schools involved. I work at a preschool where I was able to collect 30 letters to Santa, and I volunteered in Scarlett's class one day and taught them about Make-A-Wish and Macy's Believe Campaign, where we collected 22 more letters. Through out December Scarlett encouraged anyone she could, to write a letter to Santa, and on the day we turned them into Macy's . . .  she had over 75 letters.  I'm hoping next year we can get even more of Scarlett's school involved.
Scarlett getting letters at Parents Night Out!

Every year my children are flooded with gifts from aunts, uncles, and grandparents during the holidays. Being fearful that this hurricane of presents will come back to bite us in the butt. . I decided this year was a good year to also teach Scarlett the importance of gift giving vs. receiving.  

We sat down and talked about how other families might not be getting as much toys as her, because they can't afford it or don't have as many relatives to receive gifts from.  And then I suggested she pick an unopened gift she had received from her birthday to donate to a child in need.
Scarlett's pile of gifts

She abruptly ran off to her room (and her brother's) and soon came out with a pile of gifts that she was ready to give away.  On Christmas Eve we walked into the police department and filled the box to the rim. . . The look on Scarlett's face, said it all. She was so proud of herself.

I also tried this year to make "Santa's" presents less about quantity and more about being something really special. Each kid just got a few gifts on Christmas morning, ones they really, really wanted.  I've always worried about once all the kids return from school and they start sharing stories, some kids can't help but feel bad that their Santa didn't give them as much toys as maybe another child's santa.

Needless to say Scarlett absolutely embraced everything about giving back this holiday season and I couldn't be more ecstatic. She truly is growing up into an amazing little girl, with such a big heart. . . One day after I picked her up from school she asked if we could "take something special to the kids that were at the hospital in the oncology/hematology department that she goes to". She has been working hard on pictures and we plan on visiting soon so she can pass them out.

So with that said . . . I ask that you all look deep into your heart and find a way that you can give back this year. The smallest act of kindness counts and it can go along way. . .


Written by,
Kari Peepe
©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
For more of our story go to . . http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more on our Make-A-Wish trip and lasting impression please check out:
For more stories on raising children, when one of them has a bleeding disorder please check out:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

I'm sorry you shouldn't have more kids. . .

My husband and I had always said we wanted 2 kids at the least, ideally three.   But that's no longer in the cards for us......After the birth of my second child the Dr's said "I'M SORRY, YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE ANYMORE KIDS!" I would still choose to describe my first delivery as " a piece of cake" .   I hadn't been diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Deficiency yet, so I went into delivey very confident everything was going to be fine.  My family and I had warned the Dr's that we thought I had a bleeding disorder, but beyond that no precautions were put into place. So, when we got to the hospital at @7:30 am and delivered the most precious baby girl by 11:30am with no drugs, what seemed like a few pushes, and (what I was calling) normal blood loss, I was very confident I could do this again.....and again......and again!  Now don't get me wrong, my first delivery was scary......it just wasn't as obvious at the time.  My daughte