Skip to main content

Scarlett's Makes-A-Wish: Part 1

While talking to other bleeding disorder parents online one day, one of them mentioned that she had known someone with hemophilia that had her child's wish granted through the amazing Make a Wish Foundation.  After asking relatives and friends their opinions of whether or not this was something I should look into. . . I decided there was no harm in just filling out the form on line and to be honest with the on going controversy over whether bleeding disorders are life threatening left me feeling pretty skeptical.  Within 2 weeks, the Make a Wish Greater Bay Area office got hold of me to have a phone interview.  During this interview I gave them a lot of contact info about my husband and I as well as some info about Scarlett's bleeding disorder.  They told me the next step would be getting hold of her hematologist and getting approved that Scarlett has a life threatening illness.  After I heard from them to he honest I didn't think we would hear back from them.  I had gone to Scarlett's hematologist during this time for her quarterly check up and they had mentioned that Make A Wish got hold of them, but that had been almost a month prior and they hadn't heard anything sense. . .
About 3 months after I had originally submitted my form was when we got the acceptance letter in the mail. . . . I had such a mix of different emotions as I opened up the letter to read the contents of what were inside.  I was anxious, nervous, feeling a little guilty, but most importantly excited for Scarlett getting the opportunity to experience something like this.  I was already crying and I didn't even know what was inside.  The letter had a big printing on the front that said "Your wish is coming true"  there already was such an element of surprise and I hadn't even opened it yet.
 Upon opening the letter the first words that I read were "are you ready for your biggest dreams to come true?"  The letter went on to explain that Scarlett had been approved and within 14-21 days we would be contacted by one of their wish team members who are trained and dedicated to making Scarlett's wish come true.  The packet that they sent us also had a page for Scarlett to color and write down some of her wishes.  They obviously encourage parents to not get involved and suggest wishes to them and really let the children's wildest dreams lead them in making there wish.  So we briefly discussed with Scarlett that an amazing group of people were going to try to help make her wishes come true and that I wanted her to tell me what some of her wishes were.  They traditionally break down wishes into 4 categories. . . 


If I could be anything. . . 
she responded "I want to be a zookeeper"
If I could have anything. . . 
she responded "I would have a magic cape that could make me fly"
If I could go anywhere. . . 
she responded "Disneyworld, because I want to be in the parade"
and If I could meet anyone. . .
she responded first "Cinderella", but by the time her wish team came she had changed it to "Sophia the First"

After the excitement of getting the letter we decided to stop talking about it for awhile because we didn't know exactly when we would be hearing from her team and didn't want her to get obsessed with the idea.  We had gotten the letter in the beginning of December so it was easy to let the holidays consume us. . . Soon after the New Year, Briana contacted us to set up a time the following week to come to our home and meet Scarlett and the family.  She explained there would be two team members, Briana-who was coming to talk logistics and to fill out all the paperwork with my husband and I and Kristen-who would be coming to talk to Scarlett about her biggest wish.
The following Wednesday they came, already giving Scarlett her first surprise as they walked in the door (an amazing coloring book)!  Scarlett instantly felt comfortable with Briana and Kristen asking them if they wanted to see her room.   As they followed her into her room it was instantly clear that Disney characters and Animals were a HUGE part of Scarlett's life since her room is filled with both.
We left them to chat and Briana sat down with my husband and I to explain the next process. . .
Once Scarlett expressed her one true wish (GOING TO DISNEYWORLD) her team would then start the planning process.   They explained that they would do everything they could to grant her wish and had a back up wish if her doctors were to say she couldn't travel out of state. (her back up wish was to have a Barbie party)  After leaving our house that night we would get contacted by the head office of Make A Wish, greater bay area within 14-21 days and they would confirm the dates for the trip and explain more about the process.  They then told us that around two weeks before they will be sending us on our trip that they will be giving Scarlett a Wish Granted Party, filled with (in this case) everything Disney to announce that her wish is granted and she's going to Disneyworld.
I still am in shock all of this is happening and don't think I'll believe it until we are on the plane.  It's simply amazing to me that Make A Wish makes these wishes come true and I'm filled with gratitude that Scarlett is now a part of their family.
MORE TO COME


Written by,
Kari Peepe

©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more on our Make-A-Wish trip and lasting impression please check out:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

I'm sorry you shouldn't have more kids. . .

My husband and I had always said we wanted 2 kids at the least, ideally three.   But that's no longer in the cards for us......After the birth of my second child the Dr's said "I'M SORRY, YOU SHOULD'NT HAVE ANYMORE KIDS!" I would still choose to describe my first delivery as " a piece of cake" .   I hadn't been diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Deficiency yet, so I went into delivey very confident everything was going to be fine.  My family and I had warned the Dr's that we thought I had a bleeding disorder, but beyond that no precautions were put into place. So, when we got to the hospital at @7:30 am and delivered the most precious baby girl by 11:30am with no drugs, what seemed like a few pushes, and (what I was calling) normal blood loss, I was very confident I could do this again.....and again......and again!  Now don't get me wrong, my first delivery was scary......it just wasn't as obvious at the time.  My daughte