Skip to main content

Raising a child with a bleeding disorder . . .

I'm always questioning whether the ways I'm dealing with Scarlett's bleeding disorder are going to end up scarring her for life.  It's very hard for me to know when it's ok to baby her and when I need to teach her more tough love.  A lot of the time I feel like we just spoil her and give her everything she wants cause we feel like we have to say No and restrict her from so many other aspects of her life. . .
I'll never forget the day that Scarlett was talking about all the toys she has.  She ended the conversation by telling me that she "must have so many toys because I love her Soooooo much,"  I  responded by telling her that of course I loved her and that she had so many presents because everyone spoils her so much.  She thought about that for a minute and responded with "that's because of my bleeding disorder."  This response left me feeling a mix of different emotions- Why would she think she only gets thing because of her disorder? Does she think it's why we love her so much? That if it weren't for her disorder she wouldn't be so loved and spoiled by her enormous family?  As I've mentioned before I'm a huge worry wart so conversations like this haunt me for days.
I think the hardest thing that I have to deal with as a parent of a bleeder, is balancing keeping her safe and letting her be a child and learning her own boundaries and ways to be safe.  I was home with Scarlett for the first 2 1/2 years and then I got a job teaching at a preschool that she could attend.  SO until her first day of Kindergarten she literally had never been in the hands of another caretaker besides a family member.  The daily stress that goes along with leaving her with others and entrusting they will know how to handle a serious situation takes a lot of trust and faith.  Like any elementary school. . . Scarlett is under the care of several different staff members whether it's her teachers, aids, parent volunteers, office staff, librarians, or yard duties that all have to be informed and entrusted to make the right decisions when it's comes to an injury involving her.
We went into her first year of school very optimistic that she would be able to live a normal existence on campus. . . However, in the first 6 months of Scarlett being in Elementary School we got several phone calls from staff members saying that she had bumped her head on the play structure. . . by Thanksgiving of Kindergarten year we decided to pull her from climbing on the play structure. . . a hard decision for my husband and I to make, but a necessary one to keep her safe from any life threatening situations.
It's decisions like this I literally lose sleep over and stress about daily.  I get a lot of opinions on what and how I should be restricting my daughter, from people not only close to me, but complete strangers.  My response to them is that you will never know what it's like to have a child with a life threatening disorder, until you have one.  The every day worry, I assume that all parents have, is escalated to a level nobody could imagine when you are trying to prevent them from getting hurt from every day life experiences.  People take for granted things like a bad fall, slight concussions, or abdominal injuries that so many of our children experience as they are getting to know their bodies and their boundaries. . . accidents like that, could kill her.
I feel like every day brings on a new challenge or learning experience when its comes to my daughter's bleeding disorder.  I'm constantly learning from every bump or bruise she gets and what caused it and what worked to make it heal faster.  The Dr's, her teachers, peers, and countless family members make mental notes constantly to help keep her Dad and I informed . . . and I am forever grateful for all those involved in trying to keep her safe.  I assume that as she goes through every life stage we will learn more about this rare disorder and what it has in store for us. . . and we are ready for whatever it throws at us!

Written by,
Kari Peepe


©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

For more stories on raising children, when one of them has a bleeding disorder please check out

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he