Skip to main content

Princess Jasmine is having a bleed . . .

I’m pleased to say it’s been months since I’ve blogged about Scarlett having an incident. What seemed to be never ending stories of fear and questioning whether I would survive having a daughter with a bleeding disorder have now transpired into minimal blogs filled with reminders of how far we've come. 

But this week we were reminded of why I started blogging in the first place....which was to share our story in hopes of getting some answers as to why our child was bleeding like they were and how to make it stop or prevent it from happening in the future. 

Scarlett’s been performing for a local theatre group for the last few years and this year was cast as Princess Jasmine in Aladdin. After months of memorizing lines, practicing dance moves and perfecting her voice .... it was finally opening night.

Scarlett made it through her first performance without skipping a beat. She sang beautifully, remembered all her lines and looked like she was in her glory. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't have this aching feeling something was wrong the whole performance. But after assuring me everything was fine at half time after telling her I noticed her playing with her mouth the whole performance. . . She went back on stage and finished the second half. 

It wasn’t until we got home late that night that Scarlett confessed what was really happening inside her mouth.  Shortly after we got home she came out of her room telling me there was something wrong with her mouth and that she thinks she’d been having a bleed. A common occurrence we go through anytime she's going through the process of losing a tooth. 

The sight I saw when she opened her mouth will haunt me for along time and I have no idea how she performed with that amount of blood attached to her tooth. We pulled a golf size clot out of her mouth and quickly went through our ritual of taking her meds when she's having a bleed. . . .amicar and stimate. She went to bed hopeless and upset that she wouldn't be able to perform her next show because she was bleeding or her meds made her feel too dizzy. I tried to encourage her to think positive and we'd see how she felt in the morning.

The next morning I woke up to what sounded like a stampede coming down the hallway and Scarlett coming at me with a look of panic in her eyes that I'd never seen before. As she got closer I noticed she wasn't opening her mouth and it looked like crusted blood was covering her lips. I instantly grabbed a wet paper towel and started wiping it on her mouth that was literally glued shut with blood, It was something I'd never seen before.Once I finally got her the blood off her lips I found yet another golf size clot attached to her loose tooth. As I pulled out the clot I saw her eyes roll back in her head and I caught her as she fell to the ground.

After a trip to the dr to get her levels checked, we came to the conclusion that she fainted from the fear of what was going on. We went home and she rested while fretting about whether or not she could perform in her 2nd performance. . . and by lunchtime she decided the show must go on. She performed through her 2nd show dehydrated and worried she'd have another bleed but you wouldn't know it by the look on her face. She smiled through the whole thing and nobody knew any different. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he