Skip to main content

Birthday Parties, Play dates, and Sleepovers. . .

My biggest fear (and something I've seen countless times, being a preschool teacher for 15 years) is children bumping their heads.  Bumping them into each other. Bumping them on the floor. Bumping them on a stair. On a slide. On a swing. . . Everything! And this is what I'm supposed to be trying to prevent my child from doing?  Not an easy job to take on AND one I'm tired of defending.  Because Scarlett's condition is so rare, Dr.'s don't know for sure that the medicine she's been prescribed is actually going to work in a life threatening situation. . . So there advice is to be preventative. Try to do everything in your power to lessen the chances of her getting hurt.  An impossible task to take on, BUT one I'm being asked to do.
Scarlett iceskating 
The question of Birthday Parties, Play Dates, and Sleepovers started for Scarlett, when she was about 3 years old. The preschool I taught at and that she attended, left us with many invitations to all sorts of different parties, all of which always posed the question. . "is this party going to be safe for her to go to?"  We've gotten to ice skate, bowl, and climb and play in places I probably wouldn't ordinarily choose to take Scarlett for fear of her hitting her head and injuring herself.
The first real scary party she was invited to was the ice skating part. A fun and exciting moment for her. . absolutely horrifying for me.  I went as prepared as I could. Helmet. Padded. And she was pretty much between my legs the whole time or I was holding her hands in a way that she couldn't ever really fall to the ice.  But still horrifying! There were several times, where if I hadn't been there to catch her, the outcomes could've been catastrophic and still give me nightmares to this day.  One time I literally caught her as her legs flew out from underneath her.  Her head was about an inch from the ground before she knew it as her feet flew up into the sky. I caught her just in time. All in all,  I'm glad I let her go to the party, but it probably ruled out any ice skating in her future.
I went to another birthday party when Scarlett was 5 at an indoor jumpy house facility.  Luckily I had taken my children there before, so I knew what to remind Scarlett of before we went in and was feeling pretty relaxed about the situation.  But visits prior to this were always contingent on the amount of kids that were playing and I always had my husband there to help when the children decided to run off in different directions.  Making sure the 2 year old doest't hurt himself while watching Scarlett like a hawk can seem daunting at times.
came home from party with this
We were at the party for about 15 minutes when one of the parents looked at me and said "you are going to give yourself a heart attack". She politely went on to explain that I'd been running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to ensure both kids were safe.  I stopped stressing long enough to look around to notice that every other parent was laughing, carrying on conversations.  I was running around reminding Scarlett to be careful.
This was the first time someone outside of my everyday life, mentioned to me that I seemed really stressed and that I need to chill or I'm going to give myself a nervous breakdown.  (I should specify that I feel very comfortable with this particular parent, she's one I've gone out and had drinks with outside of our children being friends and I by no means was offended by anything that she was saying.). . . She went on to say how stressful it must be to try and prevent a child from getting hurt. Something no parent can do, and surely it doesn't have to feel like your world could come crashing down on you, if it did.  She sympathized but reiterated that I've got to learn to let go a little.  I can't be watching her every second of every single day.
Which comes to my next problem. . . Play dates.  I somehow managed to get away with not having any playdate issues until Scarlett started Kindergarden.  With all the time spent at preschool with me and playdates at grandparents and Aunts' houses she was kept very busy and never really worried about spending time with friends outside of her daycare environment.
Then Kindergarten came and her first true BEST FRIEND.  Once Scarlett found a best friend she asked for play dates all the time.  Having friends over at our house worked for awhile but we eventually had to face our fear of leaving Scarlett with someone else.  Something we miraculously had gone this far with out doing and one we dreading putting on another parent.  I always fear that other parents will feel like it's a burden or extra work having Scarlett over to play. What if she gets hurt? What if they can't get hold of me? What if nobody is watching and she falls and bumps her head? What if they play too rough?
In all reality I can't keep her in a bubble and eventually had to intrust her with someone else.  And after going over all the crazy scenarios in my head I sent her off on her 1st play date and everything went great.  She got to have several more throughout the year and we are learning how to inform parents of the correct steps to take should anything occur.
Sleepovers are still something I'm not ready for.  I feel like it's just too much time where something could go wrong, and I know I wouldn't sleep the whole night that she was gone.  I'm sure I'll work up to this sooner than later, but right now it just scares the crap out of me.
I'm learning to let go and can see that Scarlett is starting to reach the next milestone of her bleeding disorder.  She is finally getting to a point where she can start managing it on her own and needs less and less reminders to make safe decisions. She is playing more careful, is more aware of her body and her surroundings.  I can only hope that the older she gets the less we have to stress about Birthday Parties, Play dates, and Sleepovers.

Written by,
Kari Peepe
pspdaware@gmail.com
www.pspdaware.com

©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he