Skip to main content

Section 504 = PLAY NO MORE!

I'm ending Scarlett's first year in Elementary school feeling a little depressed and defeated by her bleeding disorder.  When she started Kindergarten we were very reluctant to label her as special needs and didn't want her bleeding disorder to affect her school, in any way.  I knew the federal laws that were put into place: the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 were there to help us and protect her rights for a proper education, but I still felt uncomfortable with labeling her as special needs. . . for fears it would be producing some sort of a stigma.   And we surely didn't want to have to restrict her from playing with others. . . fast forward to the end of the year and she's been pulled from climbing and finds herself already having to play by herself because the other kids play to rough.
Last week we had a meeting to go over her 504 plan for next year and the school is suggesting she doesn't get to go out on the playground at all.  I went into the meeting requesting an aide, and to be quite honest didn't think there would be an issue doing so. . both her hematologist and I had both written letters requesting an aide to help guide her in making safe decisions and to follow through on emergency protocol.  Instead I was told that they only found an aide for the morning snack recess and that we would have to come up with some different options during her lunch recess because they didn't feel like being on the playground should be an option.
Let me start off by saying these meetings always make me really nervous. . . They usually include the principal, the nurse, the school's social worker/lawyer and her teacher.  I usually start off the meeting sweating, my voice shakes, and I'm always worried I'm going to come off as being stupid and uneducated on Scarlett's bleeding disorder.  I can't even get my husband or Mom to go with me because they say it would make them too nervous. . . SO I battle these meetings alone, in fear that I'm going to say the wrong thing, that's going to end up scarring Scarlett for life.
This meeting I decided to start off, showing a half dozen pictures of bruises Scarlett had endured over the last year, most of which we had to administer her meds.  Some of them were injuries she got at school and some were not . . . some injuries she had told us about and some she didn't.  I explained that Scarlett is starting to recognize the side effects that come with taking her stimate and that she has taken on the roll of covering up her injuries so she doesn't have to take her meds.  I wanted them to get a clear picture of what they were dealing with and help them understand what she looks like underneath all those long pants and long sleeve shirts.  By the looks on their faces when I put the pictures down on the table I can tell it shocked them a little (and am finding out now), just reassured them that she should't be on the playground.  It's such a fine line between scaring the school faculty enough to make sure they're understanding how serious her condition is vs. scaring them to the point where they pull her from the school or any outside activities.
I handed them some more information that I thought would be helpful for them to understand her condition and to keep on file, as well as a list filled with questions and comments about the way in which some things were handled this last year and suggestions on ways to fix them.  They're were a few instances where it took a little bit longer than we all would've liked to get hold of a parent after an injury occurred, and we all brainstormed on ways to assure proper protocol in a timely manner is taken whenever she gets hurt in the future.   Special activities like Red Ribbon Week, Walk-A-Thons, P.E. and Field days were all talked about and ways to include her next year in a safer manner, as well as suggestions on making sure parents are getting ample notice to take off time to accompany her on field trips and activities that involve an extra set of eyes.
They ended the meeting by politely suggesting I somehow find time in my work schedule to come and volunteer to watch her twice a week and the other days she has to have a set destination to be - the craft club, library, fairy garden, etc.  I somewhat agree with the decisions that were put forth and know that they are doing everything they can to protect themselves while protecting Scarlett from getting hurt.  I try to be understanding and would like to confidently say that I look at all sides of the picture and understand why the school would choose to pull her from the yard, but that doesn't make the news go down any easier. . . I cried like a baby as soon as I got into my car.  Just the thought of telling a little 5 year old that she can't play on the yard with her peers, makes it feel like someone punched you in your gut and is something no parent should ever have to tell their child.
Fortunately we chose this school for Scarlett because they have a Recess Renaissance program at lunch time which provides "clubs" for the children to participate in, that don't want to be out on the playground.  This will hopefully provide enough options for her so she doesn't feel like she is being excluded, and can hopefully give her the chance to meet other children who have the same interests as her. . . that doesn't involve climbing on play structures or flying balls at her head.  I'm confident if proposed to her in a positive way that Scarlett will have no problem adjusting to this new schedule and hope that eventually she will have the option to play with the others.   She loves to read, write, and do art and I can only hope she can thrive in these activities enough to feel like she isn't missing out on the things she isn't able to participate in.  When my daughter was diagnosed with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder when she was 2, I had no ideas the issues that would come once we reached elementary school.  I get brought to tears every time I think about how she will grow up always having restrictions.   Until we can find a medicine that she can take regularly to enable her to live a more normal life, this is the cards we've been dealt.  I can only hope with the correct support and decision making we can give her as normal as an experience as she needs in her Elementary years to fill her with the confidence and intuition to go on playing like all the other children.


Scarlett playing Lego's by herself:(


Written by,
Kari Peepe

©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com


For more of my blog entries about our life in elementary school check out:






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he