Skip to main content

HFNC's Family Camp 2017

I started off this year trying not to talk about family camp much with the kids. After last years anticipation turned into such a fiasco, I didn't want to get their hopes up this year and then have the same thing happen.
This was our third year attending the Hemophilia Foundation of Northern California's family camp. The first year I went with just Scarlett and we had an amazing time. It was emotional, overwhelming, educational, eye opening and one of the first events I felt truly inspired and welcomed by my local bleeding disorder community. The second year, my son Walker who was 3 got to go. He had been anxiously awaiting getting to go since we returned from the first trip and was heartbroken to get sick, literally on the way to camp. Our weekend was cut short after spending the first 16 hours hauled up in the cabin with the stomach flu.

So it wasn't until we were pulling into the now familiar driveway of Taylor Family Foundations Camp Arroyo that I let the excitement settle in. We were one of the first families to arrive and the kids were instantly showered with gifts. They were each handed a back pack filled with over night necessities, a water bottle, notepad, and other fun items and got to pick out a sweatshirt and hand knit hat.


We said our hellos to the foundations volunteers and camp staff, found out what cabin we were staying in and headed off to unpack our things and eager to come back and start the festivities. This year we would be sharing a cabin with another family that has a daughter with a platelet disorder. We had met them at the beginning of their journey almost two years ago and the families became fast friends. Once they arrived and got settled in, we all headed down to the dining hall for crafts then dinner.

As more and more families arrived the children played board games, did arts and crafts and got re-acquainted with their bleeder buddies while parents chattered away. I'm always amazed at the ease and comfort of these events. The families all mingle with one another and share their stories with such passion.


Soon dinner was served and then it was time to head up to the cabin and get bundled up for the campfire. Songs and laughter soon filled the canyon as we all roasted marshmallows, sang campfire songs and bundled up close trying to stay warm. After the campfire we opted out of the Friday night movie and had a coloring party in our cabin instead. The kids pushed their bunk beds together and colored for over an hour while I got some much needed adult time with the parents.

The next morning we all woke up ready for the new day. We got dressed and hurried down to the dining hall to eat breakfast and start our day of camp time fun. After eating the kids were separated into groups and swished away to play games, do arts and crafts, climb the rock wall, and/or do the zip line. The parents get to utilize that time to have a round table discussion with one another, share victories, triumphs, educate themselves, all while learning more about the community.

My time at this years discussion was unfortunately cut short by my screaming 4 year old that was brought to me about 15 minutes after he left with his group to go play in one of the cabins. In true HFNC style one of the co-directors of camp came and swept him off my lap and entertained him in the corner where Mommy was still in eyes view, so I could have a chance to get involved with the discussion.


Before long Walker was at it again, and was starting to get fussy and crying. I ended up having to take him up to the cabin for a nap. As I was walking up the long hill and approaching our cabin, which was at the top, I heard a familiar voice screaming Mommy.  To my surprise, I looked up to see Scarlett getting ready to do her first time on the zip line.

I still can't believe the timing of it all and that I was able to see her follow through on this huge accomplishment. This was the first year she was old enough to go on it and she had been anticipating it for the last two years. I quickly put Walker down for his nap and crossed the street to the base of the zip line. It couldn't have been planned more perfectly, I could literally keep an eye on the cabin and if Walker was walking out, all while watching Scarlett embark on this amazing journey. You can't imagine the feeling of pride that rushed over my body as I saw Scarlett climb up that telephone pole, scurry across that high wire, then fly down the zip line! It was amazing and an experience I'll never forget.

After watching her go on twice more, I headed back to the cabin and waited until it was time to wake up Walker and head down to the dining hall to eat lunch. After eating we got to enjoy 3 hours of family time and utilize the camp as we wished. We spent the first 45 minutes in the Arts & Crafts tent and then headed off to the much anticipated rock wall and zip line.

Walker had been awaiting his turn to go on the rock wall and Scarlett was anxious to get back on that zip line. Walker climbed the rock wall so many times he became a pro. They had placed bracelets all over for kids to collect and by the end he had 7 of them, he was very proud and so was his Momma. And after much torment and fear, I reluctantly agreed to try out the zip line as well and went on it too. It was terrifying, exhilarating, and something I don't know if I'll be doing again anytime soon. Scarlett on the other hand, couldn't get enough and ended up zip lining 6 times that day.


This family free time is one of my favorite times at camp. We get the opportunity to sit down, be creative and do art projects with our kids. We get to meet new people and/or hang out with friends we only get to see several times a year.  And the kids and I love the freedom of getting to be outdoors with other bleeder families just enjoying the surroundings and each others company.We get to play games and be adventurous, doing things we wouldn't do on any ordinary day. It's a special time for us all and I wish all families could experience something like it. Time flew by fast and before we knew it, the gong was getting banged for dinner.


 Saturday night dinner was followed by the usual talent show put on by the kids. Scarlett of course was first to sign up.  Being no stranger to the stage she hopped up as the first act to do a balancing solo with several different balloons. The audience cheered her on, gasping with every move and made her feel like a total star. We got to enjoy over a dozen more acts from some amazing performers. We saw children dance, sing, hoola hoop, sword fight and even laughed trough an amazing impromptu comedy act. It was a fun night and one I know the children enjoyed. After the talent show we were all pretty exhausted. We opted out of the movie again and headed back to the cabin to start packing and organizing our things while the kids had another coloring party on the beds.
Sunday morning we all woke up slightly bummed for knowing the good-byes that were about to come.  We packed up our cars, cleaned up the cabin and headed down to breakfast, our final meal before families start going home. Families exchanged contacts, children made promises to see each other again soon and it was time to head home.

Scarlett got to hang out with her platelet disorder bestie all weekend and got to meet some new friends as well. Summer camp talk was all the buzz and Scarlett met two new girls that were her age and planning to go to summer camp this year for the first time a well. It's so comforting to see her already making these bonds that I know will prove to be more than useful through out her adolescence and into her adult years.
I leave most bleeding disorder events feeling exhilarated, emotionally drained and family camp this year was no different. I'm so blessed to be part of such an amazing community and forever grateful for all that they do for our family. These functions prove time and time again the importance of having friends like those I've found through the bleeding disorder community and I thank my lucky stars everyday for the relationships I've found, as well as my children. Scarlett met two new girls this year at family camp that were her age and planning to go to summer camp this year for the first time a well.

 Written by,
Kari Peepe
©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
pspdaware@gmail.com

www.pspdaware.com


For more stories about Bleeding Disorder Events I've attended please check out . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he