Skip to main content

Sunny Cove Female Factor Beach Retreat 2016


Recently I was blessed with the opportunity to spend a relaxing, fun filled weekend with some amazing women from the bleeding disorder community. We laughed, we cried, we shared stories and made friendships and memories that will last a life time. The beach retreat was located in the beautiful Sunny Cove Retreat along a strip of the majestic Santa Cruz coast line. 22 women gathered together for a weekend women's retreat that was filled with meditation, yoga, arts and crafts, delicious food, and enough educational discussions to nurture our souls for months.


Driving to the venue I had no idea what to expect. As I blindly turned the corner onto the street that our retreat was on, I saw the most breath taking view. I pulled up across the street from the house and was over come with joy. To the left was the ocean as far as the eye could see, and to the right the most quant and adorable 1950's beach house retreat.


When I walked into the house a cozy feeling rushed over my body. I instantly felt pampered, relaxed and peaceful.  Three of my favorite beacons of The Female Factor group were there to greet me and give me a tour of the house. A 4 bedroom, 3 bath beach bungalow with a hot tub was at out mercy. The house offered everything we needed from beach chairs, ocean front views, a kitchen filled with goodies, to several quaint and quiet nooks to sit down and enjoy the peace and quiet or spark up a conversation with a friend. The setting was perfect and filled with women from all ages and walks of life.



Friday after sitting down to a delicious meal we had a speaker come in and talk to us about deep breathing and meditation. We learned breathing techniques to calm us down, ways to put yourself in a calmer state of mind and the impact this can make on your body and soul. After that everyone ventured off . . some of us going down to the beach, some cozying up inside, some laughing and playing outside in the moonlight. Most of us headed to bed fairly early that night anxiously awaiting the next days activities.


Through out the retreat we had the opportunity to get involved with several different presentations about mediation, yoga, and relationships. When you wanted to dig your feet in the sand you could walk across a quiet street to Sunny Cove Beach. I had never experienced anything like it. We could relax, cook, craft, sit in the hot tub or walk along the beach.


Saturday morning after waking up to breakfast on the table we got to appreciate some down time.  I enjoyed the hot tub, enjoyed some craft time and I got to go down to the beach several times that day. I loved being able to walk down to what seemed like our own private beach.  At one point I grabbed a beach chair along with one of my bleeder sisters and we headed down to watch the local high school kids enjoy the day. It was slightly overcast but that didn't stop us from enjoying the tranquility of this view.

After lunch we enjoyed a group discussion on relationships, raising a bleeder, being a bleeder and/or the impact this had on our lives.  As we all sat cozied up on couches or sitting down, taking in the the view of the ocean we were able to share our stories, asked questions, and speak freely, all while hearing the waves crash outside.


Saturday night a bunch of us walked across the street and enjoyed the most breathtaking sunset I had ever seen. It was beautiful. As we all stood together watching daylight fade and holding onto one another a bond was made. We stood there for almost an hour just taking in the peace of the evening air. It was incredibly therapeutic.


Through out the weekend we could utilize our artsy side and partake in several different projects. We made magnet mounted air plants, colored amazing pictures, and even made a quilt that would go to another bleeder in the community.
It was truly an amazing weekend.  As you walked through the house you could hear laughter, sorrow, grief as different generations of stories were being shared.


As usual I walked away from another Female Factor event feeling inspired, loved and that bonds were made that cant be broken.  There's such an understanding between all of us, this hidden attachment that only those affected by a bleeding disorder can understand. We've all experienced the same fears, jumped through the same hurdles, and fought the same wars.  I love these ladies and appreciate their friendships more than they'll ever know. Until next time Bleeder Sisters. XOXO



Written by,
Kari Peepe
©KariPeepe/atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
http://atouchofscarlett.blogspot.com
pspdaware@gmail.com
www.pspdaware.com

For more stories about Bleeding Disorder Events I've attended please check out . . .








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020, you suck! Her introduction into womanhood wasn't supposed to look like this......

2020, what a year. It seems appropriate that Halloween weekend during the pandemic would end up being when my little girl become a woman.  Friday October 30, 2020 It started at 12:35 pm on a Friday. Halloween was the next day and my son's school was having a safe-distance trick-or-treating event that we'd been anxiously awaiting to attend. This would be the first time either of my kids were getting invited to come onto one of their campus' since the school year started. So, we were dressed in our Halloween outfits and ready for a fun filled day.  Keeping on her brave face as we rush out the door. We were rushing out the door, late as usual. Since the pandemic... we've definitely taken advantage of having a minimal schedule and being on time hasn't become our strong suit. Scarlett came running up to me whispering “ Mommy Mommy, when I wiped there was blood. ” I scurried her back to the bathroom to the assess the situation and assured her she’d be oK. " This was

PSPD 101- What is Platelet Storage Pool Disorder

Hello, My name is Kari Peepe and in 2011 my daughter and I were diagnosed with a platelet storage pool disorder. After several years of researching and going online to find men sharing their stories about hemophilia, but never women talking about platelet disorders. . . I decided to start my own personal blog, A touch of Scarlett. This has become a place where I share stories about our life with a rare bleeding disorder, spread awareness and hopefully empower others to help me in the fight for a better treatment plan.  1- What is PSPD? PSPD is as autosomal inherited disorder (like Cystic Fibrosis) PSPD is a rare autosomal inherited bleeding disorder. Unlike hemophilia which is an x linked recessive bleeding disorder. Platelet disorders fall into 2 categories Qualitative (abnormal function and/or structure of the platelet) vs. Quantitative (from having too few or too many).We fall under the qualitative category. Platelets are small parts of the blood cells that help wo

Give Kids the World Village. . .Go to your happy place-Scarlet's Make-A-Wish PART 5

When people say . . . "To go to your happy place". . .  I now have somewhere to go.   My name is Kari Peepe and I am the lucky parent of Miss Scarlett Peepe. . . We just got back from Give Kids the World in Florida and we are literally beaming and my jaw hurts from smiling so much from watching my daughter in a state of such pure joy for one whole week.   I want to cherish the feeling we had when we returned from Scarlett's Make-A-Wish trip . . .forever!  Scarlett was diagnosed when she was 3 years old with Platelet Storage Pool Disorder- a rare bleeding disorder which has left her with a life time of blood work, medications, restrictions and fears of life threatening situations.   As soon as Scarlett found out about Make-A-Wish, she was ecstatic but nothing could’ve prepared her or us for the experience that was about to take place and the joy it would leave in our hearts and our minds forever.   Prior to meeting Scarlett's Make-A-Wish team I had never even he